Thursday, October 6, 2011

Holiness Isn't Cool

I’ve really been meditating on this phrase that my pastor brought up for a couple weeks. It’s really true. Why do we do wrong? We do wrong because holiness doesn’t really seem that cool or appealing, especially as a young adult. In Crazy Love, Chan talks about giving God leftovers. That is probably the hardest thing that I deal with right now as I try to strengthen my relationship with God. When will I give God time, when there are so many other things I need to do as well?

It’s really funny because when we like someone, we want them to call us and text us and spend time with us, and MAKE TIME for us in their lives. I suppose that’s what God is doing all the time. He’s watching us go about our daily lives and wondering if we will ever “check-in” with him periodically throughout the day. God doesn’t want JUST the good morning text or good night text, He wants a real conversation. He wants us to really care about Him and His good works.

I’ll admit that God has been getting some good night texts from me. I’m struggling with really integrating (and I’m sure God would hate that word since He should be the priority) God into my life. Chan mentions how we like to compare and pick and choose what we will give up for God. He writes as someone speaking to God, “You see I really like my car, or my little sin habit, or my money, and I’m not really sure I want to give them up, even if it means I get You.” I feel that way all the time! I like going out to parties with my friends! So I have to give up parties to have a complete relationship with God??? That right there is probably why a lot of people who aren’t Christians or who aren’t in the Church see Christians as hypocrites. A lot of non-Christians would probably be more apt to become Christians if they saw the Christians in their life actually do right.

Remember though, holiness isn't cool.How can I as a young adult have fun, but please God at the same time? I need some ideas!!!! I want to be on the right path and I want to have a better relationship with God… but gee whiz it sure is a struggle! It’s time to hype the holy!

Here is a link to my pastor’s sermon: Revival on 'H' Street; Pastor Ronald Crawford, New Vision Church, Bowie, Maryland. (You can start around the 11 minute mark) On a few parts of the video he has the church listening to the Bible and you can't hear that. Sorry for that technicality, but its a great sermon!

With Love,

BK

No comments:

Post a Comment